Saturday, June 30, 2012

How do you Moisturize your locs without causing buildup?

Dred Locs


I saw this post on 'The Coil Review" website and it got me to thinking about other products that would be good for loc moisture. 

She butter is a great moisturizer for natural hair but for locs, you have to be careful not to overuse it because it can cause build up. I do like liquid shea butter for this reason and I always mix the shea with other oils because straight  shea butter is just to thick by itself. 

As for other products I've used with success, glycerin, evening primrose oil, coconut oil and even VO5 hot oil works really well. If you use shea butter for loc maintenance you'd be better off using a tried and true honey/aloe mixture. I use this on my clients and it works wonders for moisture and superb holding power.  The mixture is totally water soluble so there is no build up at all. I use ratios of 3 parts pure aloe vera gel and one part honey.
You can read more about what 'The Coil review" thinks are great alternatives to shea butter for locs click here:

What are Alternatives to Shea Butter for my Locs? 



I love natural hair and Loc pictures and advice and I hope u do too. Thanks for reading and share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment