Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Can styling cause Sisterlocks to break off?



Sisterlocks freestyle


I think the more common styling technique for sisterlocks is the rod set.I don't think I've seen any women with sisterlocks who hasn't set there hair on rods, at least once. While it does make the locs look nicely done, I think we over do it on the rods sets and styling in general.

Leave Your Hair Alone!
If I had a dollar for every thin scalp I've seen as a result of over styling,I wouldn't have to work anymore. Seriously ladies, there is nothing wrong with letting your hair do 'nothing'. The hair is already under a limited amount of tension when you retighten it, and the constant pulling and twists with thin your locs out.


If your hair is already to begin with, I recommend keeping the styling to maybe once every month. A loose set or twists out is fine on occasion but be careful, natural hair is actually more fragile than straight hair, very easy to break.

Breakage is not really important to most loc wearers, but it should be a concern. If your hair breaks faster than it grows, this can cause thinning at the base of the locs,which can eventually pop right off if you don't practice extreme care.

Set your Locs with end papers
So,we sisterlock ladies have to be mindful of hair breakage just like our natural hair ladies. We do not want excessive dryness, or pressure on our roots either, especially if you loc are very long.

P.S. If you use perm rods to set your hair,please use end papers so the hair doesn't get caught in the rods grooves;this can break the hair too.

5 comments:

  1. This article is very timely for me because recently I have been experieinceing some breakage. Since December, five of my sisterlocks have broken which is the most lost since my 11 years of having my locks.I wondered if my styling was a cause for the breakage.Thanks for my confirmation. From now on, I will simply let my locks be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use piping cleaners ALL the time. For the past several mo7i have had TOO.many of my locks break off. Now I convinced it's caused by the pipe cleaners....I done with them things.for.awhile

      Delete
    2. I use piping cleaners ALL the time. For the past several mo7i have had TOO.many of my locks break off. Now I convinced it's caused by the pipe cleaners....I done with them things.for.awhile

      Delete
  2. Very informative article. I've had my sister locks for 6 months and I have some breakage in the middle. Some of the locks have come out from the root ( not a lot....just a few). I believe it is due to over styling ( I used to do Bantu knots at least 2-3 times a weak). My hair is naturally fine/thin so I have to take caution with my hair. I now moisturize my scalp with jamaican castor oil and take biotin pills to strengthen my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello My sisterlocks are 10 months old now I notice that one of my locks is real short in the top of my head and another one is real thin in the same area on the other side of my head
    can you tell me what is causing this I notice this after my last retight I am going to discuss this with my consultant. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete